Ziegler Blog 13: The Journey Comes to a Close

“It’s a dangerous business, Frodo, going out of your door. You step into the road, and if you don’t keep your feet, there’s no knowing where you might be swept off to” – Bilbo Baggins

I can’t believe our journey together is coming to an end. I know how difficult this year has been for everyone, you should all be proud of how hard you worked. I want to thank all of you for your help throughout the semester, all of your critiques and suggestions were so helpful . I thoroughly enjoyed this semester together and was so appreciative of everyone’s support. I also want to thank Dr. Lowe for her guidance throughout the semester. The way she structured the course made it manageable even though it was such an extensive research project. Furthermore, I found her feedback to be thorough and quite valuable in helping me develop my analysis. I was dreading this course at first, but Dr. Lowe and you all have made it an enjoyable adventure I will never forget!

On Wednesday I presented my Power Point. I was quite nervous and overwhelmed so I feel like I could have done a better job but I am satisfied with how it turned out. That was a very difficult day for me. I found out that morning from my cousin that my Uncle Alan had passed that night before, just a year after his wife, my Aunt Nancy had passed from Covid. My cousin and I were actually born on the same exact day, and I spent most summers at their house, so they were like my second parents. She was a high school history teacher and was always so passionate about learning and history. My Uncle Alan was also an educator, a professor of education with a passion for history as well. They instilled this passion in me, and I am forever grateful.

My Mom and I on the Left my older cousin Greg in the Middle and my Aunt Nancy and cousin Scott on the right

The Wednesday I presented also happened to be the one year anniversary of my best friends death. After years of battling mesothelioma my friend Mike passed away last April, leaving behind his 4 year old daughter Riley and wife Jessica. My fiancee and I have done our best to be there for them both during this difficult time. And often when I think about giving up I think of Mike and his courage and it gives me strength to carry on, so I also want to thank him for giving me strength on this journey.

Mike and I playing our favorite game together, Destiny

This week I have received comments from Dr. Lowe and I will continue to edit my paper while including some further analysis of my sources . I can’t wait to hear all the presentations on Wednesday! Best of luck to everyone now and in the future! Keep in touch! And thank you all again for an unforgettable experience!