Research Blog 5

This week was spent going through some of the articles suggested to me on my topic proposal. One piece of work that I will absolutely incorporate into my paper was about the Nazi Olympics in 1936 Berlin, from the University of Illinois Press, titled: “The Nazi Olympics: Sport, Politics, and Appeasement in the 1930s. This book also has an entire chapter on Mussolini’s participation at these Olympics. These Olympics were used as a vehicle to spread the ideas of Nazi Fascism. Mussolini saw this event as so successful that he wanted to host the 1940 Olympics and a World’s Fair in Rome. He constructed an entirely new neighborhood of Rome that still stands today, called EUR. This neighborhood provides more art and architecture as primary sources for my paper. I have to start narrowing down which buildings and paintings I’d like to use because there appears to be an abundance of them, which excites me. Next week, I hope to research the 1934 and 1938 World Cups, which perhaps could’ve also been used as forms of Fascist propaganda. My research this week suggested an emphasis on physical health and stature in the age of Fascist Italy, and I’m hoping that both of these World Cup victories by Italy will confirm this societal emphasis.