Research Blog #2 – Joseph Ganiszewski

This week I developed an elevator pitch for my proposed research topic. In doing so I was able to identify several sources which I plan on looking into. I have found and acquired a collection of primary sources which will be central to the writing of my paper. The Pacificus-Helvidius Debates of 1793-1794 is a collection of the essays written by Hamilton and Madison in conflicting response to Washington’s 1793 Proclamation of Neutrality. Both the proclamation itself and several relevant letters are also included in the book. The editing and an introduction are attributed to Morton J. Frisch of Northern Illinois University. The book was published in 2007 by Liberty Fund Inc. Although the publisher does not appear to be a traditional scholarly source, the content appears to be presented in completion and without bias. If I find this to be an inconsistent appraisal, I will seek out individual sources for the contained works.

I have found several articles which seem to pertain to my topic. I have only had the opportunity to begin reading one of them. “Connecting the President and the People: Washington’s Neutrality, Genet’s Challenge, and Hamilton’s Fight for Public Support” was written by Christopher J. Young and published in a 2011 issue of the Journal of the Early Republic. I feel like it is still too early to determine whether I will be using this as a source. I plan on further evaluating this and the rest of the articles during the coming week and I will include more details in the next update post. In anticipation of the upcoming week’s proposal, I have been re-working the “question” I had prepared for my elevator pitch into a more complete thesis. I have also been working on a preliminary outline for my paper.

One thought on “Research Blog #2 – Joseph Ganiszewski”

1. Joseph, Let’s remember to talk about the Liberty Fund (as a publisher) in class. Look around on the web/current newspaper databases for information about it. Do you think this source has been peer reviewed? Have you found any academic reviews of it?