Water plays an important role in the recovery of fossil fuels. In addition, the environmental impact of energy production and generation is apparent in water supplies. It is therefore important to understand the fundamental processes involved so that optimized solutions can be developed. However, solutions are not simply based on science as the economic, policy and legal dimensions need to be considered. As this aggregate knowledge informs public understanding and decisions, effective outreach is critical.
- Colloids (Borguet, Dai, Klein, Wunder)
- Complex fluids (Klein, Tao)
- Flow in porous and fractured rock (Davatzes, Toran)
- Membranes (Wayland)
- Transport in streams (Toran)
- Water at mineral surfaces (Borguet, Dai, Davatzes, Klein, Strongin,Wu)
- Water treatment (Strongin, Suri, Van Aken)