Given finite natural reserves, TU researchers are working to develop methods to enhance the efficiency of extraction and use of fossil fuels, while minimizing the accompanying environmental impact. The underlying belief is that an understanding of the fundamental chemical and physical processes is required to develop efficient, practical solutions to fossil fuel challenges and environmental impacts.
- Acid mine drainage (Strongin)
- Carbon as a catalyst (Borguet)
- CO2 sequestration (Davatzes, Strongin)
- Combustion (Dai)
- Hydrocarbon recovery (Davatzes)
- Remediation (Van Aken)
- Remote monitoring & sensors (Borguet, Cordes, Levis, Nyquist, Obradovic, Toran)